Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ten Best

(I got to work yesterday and saw these red leaves against a cloudy sky and had to get my camera out of my bag and take some photos...)

Syd had a post over the weekend about the 10 best moments of his life. I was so struck by his wonderful humility as a non-alcoholic. He simply stated that graduating with high honors was a great moment, and that getting his PhD was a great moment, etc., it was a wonderful honest and humble look at some of the really outstanding moments of his life. Alkies came by and commented about how loving kindness shown by others had provoked humility causing great awakenings and therefore, bla bla bla... Anyway, I wondered, what, if pressed, would I call the 10 best moments of my life. Here goes:

1. Graduating from high school - after dropping out twice.
2. Marrying the father of my children (before he was the father of my children)
3. Celebrating 10 years of sobriety at my first homegroup after many years away
4. Being hired at my current workplace
5. Getting the acceptance letter from my university
6. Realizing I belonged there
7. Finishing my financial amends at 14 years of sobriety - (child support takes a long time)
8. Getting my bachelor's degree (Magna Cum Laude)
9. My 50th Birthday Party - in my new house - the day before I got my master's degree
10. Celebrating 25 years of sobriety at a meeting with my daughter, my former son-in-law, my sponsor, her husband, and more sober friends than I could ever imagine.

Life is good.

13 comments:

Scott W said...

Indeed it is.

Lou said...

The hard won rewards never lose their wonder.

Anonymous said...

DISTRUST OF SELF is so absolutely requisite in the spiritual combat, that without this virtue we cannot expect to defeat our weakest passions, much less gain a complete victory.

This important truth should be deeply imbedded in our hearts; for, although in ourselves we are nothing, we are too apt to overestimate our own abilities and to conclude falsely that we are of some importance.

This vice springs from the corruption of our nature. But the more natural a thing is, the more difficult it is to be discovered.

But God, to Whom nothing is secret, looks upon this with horror, because it is His Will that we should be convinced we possess only that virtue and grace which comes from Him alone, and that without Him we are incapable of one meritorious thought.

Syd said...

You are loved MC. Thanks for sharing those moments. Life is indeed good.

diane d said...

Wow. That is awesome!

dAAve said...

Good ones.
I guess I'm gonna have to write it out too. It's all your fault.

Ed G. said...

Nice 10...

Blessings and aloha...

Gin said...

These are beautiful MC. Truly...

Scott W said...

Who is this hiding behind the anonymous moniker?

Lou said...

Yes, MC, look them up and see where the comment came from. Wouldn't it be interesting if someone we "know" in bloggerland is behind it? Just a thought.

Anonymous :) said...

Great list! Now, Anonymous, say what?

Scott M. Frey said...

you and HP have done alot together :-) keep going!

Mary LA said...

Love your 10 best.

And delighted you got to marry the father of your children before he became etc!