Saturday, February 21, 2009

2 º

It is two degrees outside.  I registered for a 5 mile race this morning when the weather forecast for today said it was getting up to 60º.  If it gets to be over 20º by race time, I will go.  But I will hold fast to my 20º rule.  I don't run outdoors when it is under 20.  I don't care if it did cost $30. to register for the race!

My daughter will join me at the 6:30 meeting this morning.  How very lovely.  I could use a meeting.

I also have to not watch CNN or any "news" purveyor anymore.  Between the story of the chimp biting off the face of a woman, and the woman in Iran whose boyfriend blinded her with sulphuric acid...  The sentence from a supposedly rational court in Iran?  They are burning his eyes out in retribution.  And we are supposed to believe that all "cultures" are equal and we should respect them?  Yeah, I don't think so.  

And I know I just crossed the line with that remark.  I am a human being.  A fully fallible human being who does not speak for AA.  Just myself.  

10 comments:

dAAve said...

That is ridiculous!

dAAve said...

Maybe a more appropriate sentece would be for him to run 13.1 miles in Denver -- today!!

hehehaha

Syd said...

I don't respect all cultures but I can accept that they have their ways that are as true to them as ours are to me. Perhaps in this case it truly is an eye for an eye.
Hope that you can stay warm out there. It's your kind of running weather here--in the 30's this morning.

Scott W said...

Too cold for my comfort. Stay warm!

Dharma Kelleher said...

And here I complain when it's below 50º. Enjoy the race if you go.

Sounds like you're setting healthy boundaries for yourself with the 20º rule and turning off CNN.

Anonymous said...

When I first read about Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay, I was inclined to think the same way about unequal cultures. But I know that is not true.

Let's not forget the global readership on the Internet. Those who work with OIAA (Online International AA) describe it as a very fast and humbling political education.

Love & respect

Mary LA

Trailboss said...

There have been many many times that I have not watched the news for weeks on end because of all the stories about gloom and doom. I know it happens, I just don't relly want to be reminded daily about it. I would rather watch Andy Griffith or Little House on the Prarie. You know, good wholesome shows. There aren't many anymore.

Unknown said...

You know what I love about blogs and humans, weare althat...human. Thank you for your post and thank you for your honesty and your opinion.

steveroni said...

I did not know about the chimp, the acid, nor the eye-burning penalty. Oh
how much I DO miss the news-of-the-day

Wondering what could I have done about any of that. I was checking mailbox every day for my government money, then find out since we spent our savings last year to pay our house off, we will not see a DIME of the money--to help us.

Living in the day, in a "wrong-kind-of-poor" way...but sober, yes, sober!

Anonymous said...

hope it warmed up and you had a good run.