Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday in February

Image of the Beautiful Kona Coast 
I slept until 7 o'clock this morning.  I think I shall be a bit late for work today.  Yesterday I put in a leave request to take Friday (tomorrow) off.   That will give me a four day weekend.  Yippeee!  I am not doing a darn thing.  Of course, you know that if I continue with this, I will tell you all what "not a darn thing" means... starting with packing up all the bookcases, etc., in the living room and dining room to get ready to move it all out while putting in the new floors... but I digress.

Yesterday at work, there was a large meeting where three HR people came and handed out information on layoffs and explained our rights.  That is enough to make a lot of folks nervous.  It should make me nervous, but instead makes me want to live it up.  I spent the rest of the day looking at trips to Hawaii....

I have been to 49 states.  Don't you think I really should go to all 50 states?  Me too.  The only one left is Hawaii.  The price of airfare to Hawaii has dropped.  So, being me, and not someone else, I looked for marathons in Hawaii.  The Kona Marathon is on June 28.   A room at the very very fancy schmancy race headquarters hotel is only $130 a night!  So, I dreamed up a whole trip to Hawaii.  I have not booked it, but I am seriously thinking about this.  

I am grateful to be a sober, fully alive, mostly healthy, human being today.  I have so many wonderful things going on in my life it is almost scary.  I could choose to dwell on the economy, the money I have lost, the uncertainty of my future, etc., but that would be no fun!  and it wouldn't do a bit of good.  So I think I will choose to focus on what is good about my life and all the incredible blessings....

11 comments:

Scott W said...

Hula Mary! Hawaii sounds lovely. And the day before my birthday, even.

I hate the focus on how badly the economy is getting. We need some positive thinking!

Pammie said...

Yes Go!
Go Mary! Funny, before cliking open your blog, I was on Travelocity looking a trips to Grand Cayman. Just lookin'
I hope people don't RUN in Grand Cayman.

Anonymous said...

I too have been to 49 states - the only one left to me is Idaho. I'd rather go to Hawaii. Robert W.

Syd said...

Great idea to take Friday off. I might do the same. Also I like your thoughts on enjoying each day. I'm not projecting into the future. I'm okay today.

steveroni said...

Mary, you rock!

Anthony De Mello tells you to go to Hawaii. He writes:

"There is not a single moment in your life when you do not have everything you need to be happy."

And next, (paraphrased)

And the reason anyone is unhappy is because they are focusing on what they do not have, rather than what they do have right now.

Akannie said...

MC,
I went to Hawaii for the 32nd Annual AA Convention in Oahu when I was a trifling 2 years sober...it was an incredible experience. There must have been 5000 people at the Waikiki Hilton (or was it the Sheraton).
GO to Hawaii...do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.
You'll never regret it.

dAAve said...

Go!

Hope said...

Darn. You've been to Alaska already. If you drove to Alaska you'd drive right by my place - you could run the half mile from the highway to my house. The shortest marathon known.

Unknown said...

I have not been to Hawaii, but one day want to go and Hula...swim in the ocean and wake up near the beach...if you have this opportunity take it!

Great post!

Banana Girl said...

Aloha, and Aloha. It really is about the spiritual progress isn't it. What a gift you give me each day. Have a great four day floor installing weekend. J.

Trailboss said...

Love that outlook on life. I share it as well. I say go, go to Hawaii. You only live once!