Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One Day Closer...


One of my friends at work has become increasingly unhappy at work in the last several years.  Now when you see him and ask how he is, he says "One day closer."  And I invariably ask him "to the grave???"  

He means that he is one day closer to retirement.  Yesterday I asked him why he was waiting.  He has worked there long enough to retire with a very good income.  He is "holding on" for a few extra bucks.  I asked him if it was worth all this misery for a few dollars.  And then I probably crossed the line and lectured him - I said "this is your life.  Every single day of it.  Don't wish it away."  

When I was finishing my master's degree it got so old and tiring, I started counting the days until graduation.  I posted them on a whiteboard outside of my office.  I was sober 17 years, so I really should have known better.. but I did it anyway.  

On September 11, 2001, in all of the heartbreak and chaos, I looked at that whiteboard and saw that I had 90 some days written down.  I was counting off days, like something to be endured and not enjoyed and relished. I thought of all the people who had died that day and would probably have given anything for one more day of life, no matter how difficult.  

So this morning I wanted to count how many days until spring.  But I think I shall endeavor to enjoy this day for all that it brings.  No matter how "good" or "bad."  Or brown and cold.  I will watch the wind and notice all the debris on it.  I will watch the geese who congregate below my office window.  And I will make phone calls, and see what I can bring to others - instead of looking for what someone is going to give me.

We are born today and we die today.  All we have is today.  Let's live it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now is all we have. The very present. One minute at a time. Thanks for reminding me!!

Scott W said...

I call it the continuous moment and try to pay attention to it as much as possible.

Trailboss said...

Well said my friend.

Pammie said...

These last few years, I have so learned to enjoy the now. God just gave me that little gift without me even asking-how awesome is that?
little tator tot.

dAAve said...

Thanks you for the reminders. (I sometimes forget how great it is to live in Houston during the winter.) LOL

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how wonderful and inspirational this blog is. This is just another example. Thanks M for all you do for my (our) sobriety! - Robert W

Wait. What? said...

Indeed - wonderul post.

Syd said...

thanks MC. I have a tendency to count down days for things. This is a good reminder to me to cherish each day. Carpe diem.

Akannie said...

Well said, MC.

Awaken each morning in gratitude for another day of limitless possibility.

Banana Girl said...

Heard testimony today from 3 people who forgot exactly what you wrote and drank. Not all of them yesterday, but each in their own time. One had been sober 9 years. Thank you so much for the reminder. Today will be a growth day because you proofed my yeast. (Only the bread bakers will get that one.) J.

J-Online said...

This is exactly what I needed to read today. Thank you.

Michael Broad LLB, ARPS said...

Hi, I like your blog and the remark you made in this post about living for now and not waiting for retirement and being miserable while doing so is very true. I live with an alcoholic and I definitely have to live in the present. I retired early following your advice.

Freddie