Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Back to Life... Back to Reality

I'm back home and going back to work this morning, but I still have photos from the trip I will be posting this week.  The above was during the race.  I saw these happy people with the signs for their "Mary."  I told them I was going to pretend they were cheering for me and take their picture.  They were lovely, as you can see.

Last night I saw my son for the first time in seven months!  It was so heart warming to see his little nuclear family all together on my sofa.  Daddy, Momma, Baby, and doggy.  Nana taking pictures. And an Auntie coming by.  I couldn't even cook I am still so depleted from the race, so we ordered his favorite pizza.  I will cook on Sunday.  He requested an apple pie... the rest is up to me.  How wonderful.

I got to go to my regular morning meeting yesterday.  There was a new guy there who hadn't raised his hand.  I think we all knew anyway.  It was a 12 and 12 study and we read the first step, which I thought was fortuitous.  At the end of the meeting he introduced himself.  He is a soldier who was injured in Iraq and it went downhill from there.  Bless his heart.  You can imagine he will remain close to mine.

Can I just tell you how very grateful I am to be back home?  My pretty little house.  My family.  My meetings.  My friends.  Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I spent my first 24 years in the midwest. I feel that I am a native of the arid, sunshiny west.  Maybe it is because I got sober here... this is my real birthplace.

I remember realizing that at 5 years of sobriety.  A boy and I left an AA dance and drove up a mountain where we could look out on the city of Denver below.  I cried when I realized that Denver was truly my home.  I had never felt that way about any place before.  But I moved here and got sober 17 days later.  I learned the streets by going to AA meetings.  I knew more people in Denver than I ever had in any other place I had lived - because of AA meetings.  And despite many difficulties and hardships, my life here has been better than any other place - because I have been sober here.

God has been so very good to me.

Hey, let's stay sober again today, OK?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My God, that orange tree in the background is gorgeous! Welcome back to reality, as it were.

Syd said...

I am glad that you are happy and home. I saw that photo and thought--how great that they are cheering for our Mary. Have a good day, MC. Glad that you are where you belong today.

steveroni said...

Yep...sober today. As for coming home, life is good here, there, or anywhere, but "There's No Place Like Home".

JeremyRT said...

OK!

I love those signs & the encouragement they gave you. There is truly no place like home, and though Denver isn't mine, it's my Mom's. When I visit I can't help but think she lives in God's country.

mckeown said...

new to your blog. it encourages me every day

dAAve said...

My oh my.
What a difference 26 years makes. Or is it 27?

me said...

I saw the photo and felt envious I wasn't the 'friends' holding the banner, but I'm a real sick alcoholic! Obviously I denied that reaction and found a mature gracious one to cover it up with, but that was the initial thought, so out it must come!

Anyway, I am glad your son is home and you had a meal with him and his little family. I often remember him with my prayers for my own boys. Actually, I think I will email you. I have lots of news. Good news, I think?

That's crazy, I'm so sick I can't even tell the difference.

I also hope your day at work goes OK. I know you had hassle the day you broke up for your holiday.

Lou said...

Thank be to God, your son is home safe with his family.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I admire you so much! You are living the life I want to lead!!!!congratulations!

Pammie said...

I'm so glad those people were there with those signs!!!!
Happy you got to hug the boy.

WV: dialphon