Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Second Marathon Done.

I finished this race today.   The Mount Desert Island Marathon is one serious race.  Hills for the entire thing.  If those hills had been at altitude I could have never completed the race.  As it was, it was extremely difficult.  My time was abysmal, but I am not worrying about that.  This race kicked a lot of people's butts in the last ten miles or so.  In the last 2 miles, I passed a lot of people who had been faster earlier.  It was hard.  My daughter finished too.  She is a now a marathoner.

I am tired, but extremely happy.

Today as I was out there, at one point I was discouraged enough to quit (but when my daughter told me how excited she was, I knew I could not quit), I took my phone out of my pocket and saw all the comments you guys had left me.  I did not read them (until later), but knowing they were there made me feel like I had you all with me.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

xoxoxox

13 comments:

Dr24Hours said...

AMAZING!!!!

dAAve said...

You're somethin' else.

Debbi said...

Congratulations! I'm in awe, absolutely in awe. Glad you finished, and so happy for your daughter, too.

Hope said...

Congratulations! I lit my "Mary Candles" for you - that beautiful blue of the Blessed Mary.

wendy said...

congratulations. and to your daughter too. once a marathoner, always a marathoner.

Lou said...

I knew you would do it!

Wow, the feeling at the end..no one can ever take that away.

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely amazing, Mary! XO

Syd said...

That is awesome. You have done so well. But I really didn't think that you would not finish unless you were injured. Your determination and willingness are amazing. Very proud of you, MC. And of your daughter as well.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What a great accomplishment for you ... and your Daughter rocks, too. Good job both of you !~!

Mary LA said...

You inspire me! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Wow - fantastic!

Pammie said...

oh mary...you did it sugar, you really did it !!!!

Pittsburgh Guy said...

Congratulations!!! I have done 16 marathons and know both the physical and mental challenge. Training for and completing marathons has helped me in so many ways. One way was that it was a good lesson in trusting a higher power. In those cases my higher power was in a large sense my training. Pushing your body further than it has ever gone before and succeeding through pain is an act of faith. Also, I've done a lot of cycling on Mt. Desert Island: awesome memories and challenging terrain. I remember climbing Cadillac Mountain at sunrise. It was cold and steep, but well worth the view.