Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Energized

Note to self: Sometimes the things that restore the body and soul are not necessarily rest.

I worked for over 10 hours yesterday, most of the time on my feet (which I am not at ALL used to), without lunch (just some string cheese and snow peas I had in my office refrig that I grabbed on the run), I ran all over that hospital, and had to be on my toes all day. And it was probably the best day at work I have had in a couple of years. Go figure!

I have another day like that in store today. I am looking forward to it.

As alcoholics, our reactions to many things are paradoxical. I think my reaction to work/rest is yet another example of this.

"We no longer strive to dominate or rule those about us in order to gain self-importance. We no longer seek fame and honor in order to be praised." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 124

5 comments:

dAAve said...

Do 12 hours today.
C'mon. Go for it.

Scott W said...

I went to dictionary.com looking for something interesting to comment here and found this definition:

par·a·dox (pār'ə-dŏks')1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.

So there ya have it!

Syd said...

I think that it's about being engaged in something that we like. I prefer to work long and hard at something I enjoy. The harder the work, the better I do. And I'm great in a crunch.

Anonymous said...

Love and best wishes from Wales!

Clarity said...

I LOVE the quote! Exactly what I needed to read today.