Tuesday, January 01, 2008

One . One

It's the first of the year. I just woke up. Too late to go to a meeting or church. I stayed up late last night and had a great time, but I think I prefer the way I usually ring in the new year - fast asleep!

Every year on New Year's Eve, a group of sober people go to a chinese restaurant. I have been invited for I don't know how many years, but I never went until last night. The restaurant was unprepared for how many of us there were, so there were two long tables, and then we were scattered about at tables and booths. We nearly took over the place. Actually, I feel kind of sorry for the few people who were not part of us, because they must have wondered what the heck just happened. We had so much fun! It was wonderful to walk around to different tables and talk to people. And our little booth had more fun than anyone, we laughed until we were nearly sick. We all had tiaras on, and had party horns and noise makers. It was so much fun to be with these people to whom I share a bond more powerful than anything else I have ever known.

Then I actually went to a dance! At the dance, I looked over and saw a man who got sober right after me, we traveled in the same circles for a long time. I haven't seen him in about ten years! It was great to see him. He had decided to 'graduate' from AA and go to church. After about ten years of that, he has decided that he really belongs in AA and will stay here. Thank God he didn't drink in that time. He will continue to go to church, but has realized where it is that people really 'get' him. Anyway, at the dance, we all just danced, and danced, and danced. I love to dance, so it was great.

I love the sober life. I love the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. I love my friends. And I love waking up on New Year's day, not hungover, not craving a drink, with only hope in my heart... no regrets, no fear.

Let's have a Happy, Healthy, Sober 2008 everyone.

8 comments:

dAAve said...

Sounds like a very serene night.
This year may be a huge breakthrough year for you. Time shall tell.

Scott W said...

That's what I was missing last night, a tiara. Damn!

We have the greatest gift: choice. We get to create our sober life. That is just too fabulous for words!

Banana Girl said...

Tiaras and tears! I love it when people laugh until they snort. So far away from regret and remorse. I love it! I am tickled by your words today and am so happy that you got to dance your little feet off. God Bless you this year and every single day of it.

Jeanne

hpydstny said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I enjoy your posts and look forward to them daily!

Kathy Lynne said...

Happy New Year MC! Sounds like a fantastic evening with the people you love. I spent mine quietly at home with my husband. We ate lobster and watched Season 1 of Dexter. It was perfect!!

lash505 said...

wowo that sounds great better than mine. Kick some ass in 2008.

Pammie said...

thinkin' of you this morning.

Anonymous said...

Mary - I am so glad you wrote about our fun night together!! Oh yes it was so awesome, I will treasure that night my entire life. Your friend, "Shrek"