Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Gifts

I rode my bike this morning for the first time since my accident! 4 months and 6 days without a bike ride is a long time. It was so good to get on my bike. Well, actually, I dragged out my old clunky mountain bike (it was like driving your grandfather's Oldsmobile) because I am still a bit afraid of my street bike. I rode down to the park just a few miles from here and took a few pictures and just sat for a few minutes in the beautiful Christmas sunshine. What a Christmas gift.

Another gift: my 3 adult children and 2 grandchildren were all here with me yesterday. They spent a sober day with their mother. There was a time when not only had I lost custody of my children, but there was a restraining order prohibiting me from contacting them. One of my daughters called this morning to wish me a Merry Christmas and tell me what a great time they all had yesterday.

More gifts: I will be going to J & C's for Christmas dinner today. I am sure it will be a wonderful dinner because it will be with wonderful AA members.

My sponsor loved the hand knit socks I gave her for Christmas. I am so grateful to have such an incredible woman in my life.

Yesterday, sitting in the meeting, I realized that I have made a home on this side of town... 11 years later. There are so many good members of that group who have known me as part of that group since they got sober. I love my old group (on the other side of town) with people I have known since I got sober, but I feel almost as warm about the people I have known only these last 11 years.

Minerva (my cat) did not hiss at my grandchildren once yesterday - that is a big fat miracle!

And to the sober blogging community: you guys are the best! I have felt embraced by you in the last month or so and I can't tell you what it means to me. I love reading your blogs, and so look forward to the comments you post on mine. Thanks and warm wishes to all of you!

Love on Christmas from Mary Christine.

5 comments:

dAAve said...

sounds like a very rewarding couple of days - that is your Christmas gift

Gooey Munster said...

Gratitude fills your environment. I love that the Promises just do not happen as a gift this time of year -- they are all year! WOW!

Thanks for the pic, so beautiful that snow.

Trudging said...

The many gifts of the program.

JJ said...

Wow...sounds so wonderful and the picture is awesome...did you take it?
I see you,
JJ

Mary Christine said...

I am sure answering this question late.... Yes, I did take the picture. It was a stop on my bike ride.