Monday, December 12, 2005

Monday Morning

It is 6:30 a.m., and still dark outside! We are nearing the darkest day of the year, and then I always consider it practically springtime when the days start getting longer. I am not going to work out this morning because I managed to get two good workouts in over the weekend. I managed to run 2 miles on Saturday... I have not been able to run more than a mile and a half since I broke a rib in August. Maybe by the first of the year I will be able to run 3 miles several times a week as I did before the injury.

I didn't blog yesterday. I am trying to not be such a nut case about blogging. I put up my Christmas tree, finished the Christmas stocking for my granddaughter, finished up another pair of socks I had started and forgotten, and then started on a new pair of socks. It was a productive and extremely quiet day. At some point in late afternoon, I realized I had spoken to only one person all day. I had asked the woman in the next lane at the pool how far she swims - she is often there when I get there and still there swimming away when I leave. I called my daughter, she was at work, so I spoke to her husband. I told him I put up my Christmas tree and he said "All by YOURSELF?!?" Yes, Bob, all by myself. I live alone. By myself.

I think next year I may get rid of all of my newer Christmas decorations. They were all purchased by my former boyfriend. Putting them up really highlights to me how much I miss him. I heard on Saturday after the meeting that his drinking is now so bad that he hasn't shown up for work for over a week. God Bless Him. He called me some time over the weekend and left a drunken message "Merry Christmas Mary." I had to listen to it several times to even figure out what he was saying.

OK, I better stop this, it is too sad. I will go get on with my life. And thank God for my sobriety and the wonderful life I have today.

5 comments:

dAAve said...

If I may be allowed to be my anal-retentive self ...

December 21 is NOT the DARKEST day of the year. It has less daylight than any other day.
I hope to be sober, so it certainly will not be a dark day (for me).

(sorry 'bout that)

Mary Christine said...

I very nearly changed that to the "shortest" day of the year. I think my use of the "darkest" reflects my rather dark mood.

You are welcome to spread your sunshine all over my blog... and no need to be sorry about it. I really appreciate your comments.

Trudging said...

This time of the year can be tough. Gratitude lists work for me at least to a point.

Mary Christine said...

Right up there on my gratitude list right now would be you wonderful AA bloggers...

Unknown said...

I used to fear being aone, now I cherish being by myself.

"All man's troubles stem from his inability to sit quietly in a room, alone" - Blaise Pascal one of my favorite quotes. So much so I wanted to name my son Blaise.