Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Good Self Care

I am going to do a gratitude list of sorts here. I have been struggling a bit lately and a gratitude list would be a good idea...

I am so grateful to a loving God who brought me to this place that I had absolutely no clue even existed. I am sober! I am a neighbor among neighbors, a friend among friends, a worker among workers, and an AA members among AA members, etc. I am a participating member of my family.

I think this blog is a lifesaver. I have absolutely loved reading the blogs of the other sober bloggers. What a wonderful thing. And to have people read my blog, I cannot begin to describe what an honor I think that is!

I am grateful that I got to go out on a beautiful 41 degree morning this morning and ran a 2 mile route I did on "easy" days before I broke a rib. I am grateful that I could show up for work at 9:00 a.m. I am grateful that I have an office with a door at work. And that I closed it this morning and called my sponsor.

I am so grateful for my sponsor, that is another thing that words can't begin to describe. She stressed to me that I need to take time for good self care. She was formerly an executive in healthcare so she understands the pressure I am under right now. She knows that there is not much I can do about it but just push through and get to the other side of it. She commended me on my getting back to running.

I am so grateful for the sponsee I am currently actively working with. I am humbled by the experience of being her sponsor. She brought me a birthday present last night. It was some nice body butter that I had borrowed and admired after the meeting last Thursday.

I am grateful that one of my colleagues took me out for lunch today for an early birthday present. I am grateful for wonderful Thai food... especially red bean ice cream!

I am grateful that I got about 8 hour's worth of work done today between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. I am grateful for a vending machine at the post office where I was able to purchase my Christmas stamps after work. And especially to the woman who was so willing to trade me crisp dollar bills for the soggy, crumbly dollar bills the machine was rejecting!

I am grateful that I get to experience another birthday. On Thursday I will be 54 years old. I didn't even think I would live to 30.

And, I am grateful for my neighbor who just pulled in her driveway. We have been trying to catch up with each other all week, so I bet my phone is about to ring. Imagine being friends with my neighbor!

Thanks to all you wonderful bloggers. What a wonderful, world-wide fellowship.

3 comments:

dAAve said...

very nice list MC.

i'm glad you're enjoying this blogging experience. keep coming back.

Shannon said...

we have our moments.. thanks for your post... :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the list -- it lifted me up.