Thursday, June 29, 2006

I have legs and arms..

But my back hurts. The 18 mile bike ride yesterday kicked my a**. Biking is usually the best part of the triathlon for me, but this year I am not in good biking shape. I can swim the 750 meters easily (just did it this morning), and I can run the 5K, but the biking 20K is going to take some work. That bike accident last summer really messed me up. I have a little over a month to get ready for the tri, I know I can do it if I really work, but it is not going to come easily. I was reminded by a sweet person yesterday that I COULD do the triathlon today if I needed to, and that is true. I could do it. It just would hurt like hell. He said that is exactly why everyone isn't doing triathlons.

Went to see "Click" yesterday afternoon. It was wonderful to go to a movie in the middle of the afternoon and then to dinner before there were many people in the restaurant. I hope this is what retirement will be like some day. Once again, I was reminded that my reactions to things are not usually like others... I thought the movie was profoundly sad, I was crying and had to grab a handkerchief out of my purse to try to dab delicately at the tears streaming down my face, and sniff pitifully into my starched hankie. Yikes. The movie is a freaking comedy! My Sweetheart thought it was a cute comedy with a weird part in it that didn't make sense.

My son should be home later on tonight. I am so looking forward to seeing him, but I am having a hard time staying in the present. I really can't think about seeing him without thinking about saying goodbye to my only son as he leaves to go to war. Oh my God. Thank God for AA and this way of life, or I am sure I would absolutely lose my mind. I know that by the grace of God, I can get through anything, one second at a time if necessary.

"Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us. We no longer live in a completely hostile world. We are no longer lost and frightened and purposeless. The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice, and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs. We know that God lovingly watches over us. We know that when we turn to Him, all will be well with us, here and hereafter." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 105

5 comments:

jake said...

tragic comedy with a "weird part in it"....sounds familiar....

dAAve said...

Enjoy your time with your son. Every second of it.

Unknown said...

You got some scary muscules. I think you'd kick my a*%. Note to self: Never piss you off!

Anonymous said...

A Mom myself I know that bond.
Letting go of a son to war,
I cannot even begin to imagine.
I wish you a wonderful and warm visit together...((big hugs))
Thanks for sharing ~

Tennessee Santa said...

Enjoy the time with your son. If click is a comedy and it made you cry I will wait until it comes out on DVD it shoul not be long.
A brief note to everyone else, she may be a granny but I am sure that she can kick a lot of A_-_s. She is one tough lady.
FAEA