Monday, April 23, 2012

Back to it...

Brand new aspen leaves
I am heading out of here and into a new day.  It is a beautiful day.  Spring time in the Rockies is a real crap shoot - normally it is very snowy.  Today it is expected to be 81º, sunny, and gorgeous.  I am wearing a linen skirt and sandals to work.  Very happy about this.

My new job is a challenge on many fronts.  First, because of the hours.  Second, because of the grueling boringness and incredible number of hard deadlines.  Third, the work is not even what I am good at.  Fourth, and maybe the most bothersome thing, is that I am working in a department with four other people - ranging in age from 28 to 33.  This is my first ever age crisis.  I am older than their parents!

The thing I find so bothersome about this is that I have noticed that my communication is full of references that mean nothing to them.  One day I said something and my boss gave me a blank look and said "I don't understand the reference."  Another time I told a co-worker that I don't like the appearance of a report because to me it looks like "green bar,"  none of them even know what "green bar" is.  Why would they?  While I was getting reports on green bar, they were in pre-school.  Please understand, I don't want to be young - I just want to be able to communicate with my co-workers.

Here is what I need to focus on:  * I have a job.  *Some parts of it are very good. *I love my boss, and she likes me.  *I have been assured that it will evolve and not be so grueling and boring.  *I love where I am in the organization - I think I can truly affect how we do things and deliver services to "needy" people.

I just need to focus on the positive.  And move forward.

And mostly ask God to show me how I can be helpful.

"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad.  I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows.  Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding.  Amen."  -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Christine: Just Remain Your Own Sagacious Self. Transfer Your Wisdom & Knowledge to those younger. I am your age and do not know what a "Green Bar" is. I do know when I got my Drivers License, Gas was 27 cents a Gallon. Mass was said in Latin.

Annette said...

And those young'uns saw you and said "she's the one!" they picked you. So you being you must be just what they want.

dAAve said...

I think I know what green bar is, but not positive.

I bet you'll be speaking the new English within a few years. Give it some time.

Syd said...

I don't know what a green bar is either. But I bet that you are setting the bar there for them in terms of performance and work ethic. That's a good thing.

shadowlands said...

I don't know what it means, but green means go and a bar can be raised or let down, so I would hazard a guess that it speaks of a limit of some sort?

Regarding learning the lingo of today, just think how 'hip' you will be in a few months!!

What an opportunity to be part of the 'now speak' in the workplace.

I find each company has it's preferred language over here in the UK, so you have to re-learn at each company (or Group, as the last place I worked at preferred to be referred to)!