Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Confessions of a Grumpy Woman in an Election Year

There is an election here in the United States of America in seven months.  If it were seven days, that would be too long to endure this torture.

But what kills me - kills me - is the fact that some people feel so absolutely cock sure in their opinion that they are sure no one could disagree with them.  I do disagree with those frequently.  But I shut up.  Because my blog is not about politics and I hate to find things to divide us.  There are enough of those already without looking for them.

I have long experience living in this country as a fully engaged citizen.  I have been obsessed with the news and all things political for many many years.  I had one opinion at one time - and then I lived in in another country where I saw an extreme example of the things I thought I believed in.  I changed my mind.  That was 22 years ago.

I work with a woman who thinks light-hearted conversation involved talking about what "The __insert political party here    did/said/thought."  As if she could just know that everyone is of the same political party.  Not so my friend, not so.  And I am not looking for a fight, so I zip my lip.

And some of my favorite bloggers insist on insulting my political party.  Why is that necessary?  Is your blog supposed to be about politics?  Could you just talk about what YOU believe in without being insulting to others?

It is always a good idea to not assume that everyone agrees with you.  It is just good "interpersonal 101."

I would mention the 10th tradition, but you could rightly tell me that I mention my religion here.  But I am sure you have never heard me talk about "stupid _insert other religion here."  I am "quick to see where religious people are right."  Just like the big book tells me to.

Could we try to tread lightly for the next seven months?  Please?

Thank you.
xoxoxoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh.

Syd said...

I have a lot of interest in the news. But I'm tired of the acrimony with the political systems. I wish that we could all just get along and be civil.

Mary LA said...

And there I was just posting on the need to learn to talk about politics to one another! But I understand how hard it is to listen to disrespectful or intolerant rants.

Anonymous said...

I'll quit reading blogs that have political opinions. I don't read blogs that criticize any religion. If I wanted to have that kind of intrusion in my life, I would watch network news.

Pammie said...

It is startling at times to hear the mean things that people have to say about the opposite political belief as if everyone around them is like minded. To me, they just sound foolish.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I haven't spent a lot of time with the news or politics since getting sober, the fear and anger that comes with opinions and ideas over that stuff is just too much! I like to think of what's going on right here right now and try to just live in that. Sometimes I find myself running to extremes still, but I have hope that it'll all even out to neutral in the end