Monday, April 23, 2012

Boards and Baby

My son texted me just as I was getting off the bus tonight.  He wanted me to come over and watch tiny baby girl while he and his friend were putting up a new fence.  Of course I was delighted to do so.  And then he grilled steaks and I got to eat outdoors with my tiny baby girl, her daddy (my son), and my son's friend who I have known since he was in high school.  He is older than my son and it was truly weird to consider that he is now pushing 40.  My daughter in law has been out of state for a training and will return tomorrow.  How perfectly delightful to just sit around with my son, as if that is the most normal thing in the world!

Today at work I had some time, so I decided to walk to the downtown noon meeting.  I am so thrilled to report that it was a good meeting.  I liked the feel of the room.  I liked that I met a woman there, and we walked back to our offices together.  She is also named Mary and has been sober for 20 years.  She said there are a lot of people in that group sober between 20 and 30 years.  How wonderful to not feel like an old, freakish relic.

While I was watching the baby, one of my sponsees called 3 times within 10 minutes.  I had opted not to answer because I wanted to just be with the baby.  After the 3rd call, I listened to the voice mail.  She is out of her mind with upset because a member of our group has gone out.  I believe she was sober 6 years.  And if I had to bet money on who would drink again, I wouldn't have bet on her.  My heart is broken.   I hope she can come back and just get sober and stay that way.  I called my sponsee and we talked about it.   Bless her heart.  Both of them.

I am so grateful tonight to be part of a family.  And a fellowship.

I will go to bed sober tonight and wake up that way tomorrow.  Thanks to the Grace of God.

7 comments:

Syd said...

I'm sorry that the person went out. And I do hope that she will come back.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Sad when a person picks up again. Hopefully she will return to the fellowship.

I am thankful for my sober life these last 28 years and two months. I am so very grateful for my husband, daughters, sisters of other mothers, brother and his family, neighbors.

I hold my woman friend/sister in Canada up to the universal healing power as she battles breast cancer this week. Her sobriety has been a huge blessing in our lives too.

Anonymous said...

Sitting here this morning trying to get a post together about the woman at the shelter who went back out while I was out of town. It's been over a month, but still makes me sad. So sudden, without warning. So baffling.

My tiny baby is coming for a visit soon. She is the bright spot in a messy world.

dAAve said...

When our sober friends relapse, it is the best evidence of how we can affect others. It shows me that my recovery is now not just for me, but my responsibility to be of service to others -- by example.

Pammie said...

How wonderful that you found this meeting!
Time with son and baby..priceless.

Mary LA said...

Family and community. I hope that woman with six years gets sober and comes back in again.

And your new meeting sounds solid and a good place.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day! (except for the person who relapsed). I have not been around that long, but not much surprises me anymore.