Monday, April 09, 2012

One Minute

Honestly, I have one minute to write this.   I am stealing it from the time I need to get ready to be out of here in 35 minutes.

OK, and it took me 2 minutes just to load the photo and write this.

I have to go to a "team building" retreat at my boss' house today.  Oh, Lord, help me.  I talked with my brother over the weekend who was a personnel director for a huge organization - and retired in the late 90s.  He said "They aren't still doing that, are they?"  Yep.  He said when it was new in the 70s, he attended a week long class about 'team building' and said it was painful.  Nothing has changed about the pain level.  Oh well, my fellow workers range from 28 years old to 32 years old.  This is all new to them.  I pray I will be able to act enthusiastic and let them have 20 years or more to figure out this stuff is phony and stupid.

Gotta go.

Plan to stay sober today and hope you all do too.  By the Grace of God.  By the Grace of God.

8 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Gah, I hope it is better than you predict; my last one was in 2001 and I still cringe from the "games" we had to play.

I'm staying sober too, MC, let's have a good day together far apart. Happy Spring.

Mary LA said...

Not cheerfulness, no. I would groan and swear under my breath, visibly cringe. Otherwise those damn team-building things are going to carry on for another 20 years. Try lying down on the floor and whispering, 'Spare me, just spare me.'

Mary Christine said...

Mary, good advice! I might just do it!

Kary May said...

I remember one where I had to go around the room going up to complete strangers asking, "Why do you like me?" What idiotic diabolical mind thought that up?

Annette said...

Oh Lord....I'm so glad I'm self employed.

Anonymous said...

"Are they still doing that"..LOL..I was wondering too.

PS thanks for your honesty always (here and in comments. It is appreciated)

Anonymous said...

Who knows --- maybe it will be fun. Contempt prior to investigation is a concept that never goes out of form.

Syd said...

We didn't have team building meetings but retreats which were for brain storming. Nothing came from them that I can recall. Painful and probably the best thing was a transparency burned up on the overhead projector and looked like a Rorschach ink blot. LOL.