Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I'm Alive!

I woke up yesterday at about 3:00 p.m., wanting to have pho (vietnamese beef noodle soup). I couldn't find any delivered pho, so we went and picked some up. It was so delicious. My son said it was pho'kin great. After I ate the pho, I decided I really MUST have a pedicure. That was when my son observed that I was suddenly really feeling better.

I went and got my toesies done. It was a wonderful thing. To have your legs salt scrubbed and your feet soaked and rubbed and filed and nipped and clipped, it is a thing of glory. But I usually don't feel really comfortable about it. It seems a bit too decadent to me. If I spend $40. on groceries or an article of clothing, it seems a pittance. If I spend $40. to have some little asian woman laboring over my feet - that just seems like it is wasteful and wrong. Yesterday it seemed OK because I was sick, it really was therapeutic, my toes looked BAD, and I am (still) too sick to do my usual work on my feet.

So I am feeling better. I am up early and going to go to the 6:30 meeting this morning. I have not been to a meeting since my abysmal experience at the "beginners" meeting last Thursday. Then I will go face the music at work. Thankfully, I have made it to round 2 of the interview process for the other job I have applied for. (sorry Daave, ending a sentence with a proposition, er, I mean preposition - but to quote Winston Churchill, when an editor changed a sentence he wrote "This is the kind of impertinence up with which I shall not put.")

I have not run since Saturday - when I ran 5 miles instead of my scheduled 10. I didn't know then why I felt so tired - I found out on Sunday when I felt like I got hit by the freight train of whatever illness I just had. This lost week of training will probably have a negative impact on my half-marathon on October 14... oh well. Training for a half-marathon is a lot of pressure. I really can't wait to run again just for the joy of it - not because I am training for anything.

I am a chatty cathy this morning, eh? I am so grateful to be back among the living. Three days in bed is a long dang time. Sometimes it takes that to get grateful for who I am and the life I have though. Today I am really grateful!

"There is God, our Father, who very simply says 'I am waiting for you to do my will.' The other authority is named John Barleycorn, and he says 'You had better do God's will or I will kill you." -- As Bill Sees It, p. 319

10 comments:

Scott W said...

When I first heard about John Barlecorn I thought it was just about the corniest thing I had ever heard. Randall always has pho when we eat Vietnamese, but I always have #40 (no peanuts).

Glad you are back with us and that you are chatty. Go easy at work and don't overdo it.

Mary Christine said...

Scott, now I need to know what is #40?

dAAve said...

glad you're feeling better, kathy

Kathy Lynne said...

I know what you mean about pedicures. I love them but I have the grossest heels in the world and always feel like I need a pedicure just to get one. So hence I go without. But the 2 I have had, I loved! Glad you're feeling better.

Syd said...

Pho sure you are better. I'm grateful pho that. I won't comment on the little Asian woman doing your feet.

Scott W said...

Dave, it's Cathy with a C, alliteration you know.

Shannon said...

I love PHO, one of my favorite friends and I used to get PHO and it was good. MC I am sorry you werent feeling well, and am so glad you are feeling better. fingers are crossed for you, and thanks for you love and support

Unknown said...

Glad you are better MC.

Getting your feet pampered IS so friggin awesome. It just feels soooo good.

Namenlosen Trinker said...

So glad to read that you're feeling better. I'm catching up on my blog-reading and it's great—for me—to see a friend get sick and be all better a few seconds later. LOL!

Mama Dukes said...

happy you are feeling better and that your toes are too

Its nice when you are chatty

The 2nd interview....do you want the job?