Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sobriety is More...

Yesterday my sponsee Janine called me. Her father had just died. She was crying, but she was grateful. She had been so worried that he would end up dying in the hospital, and he wanted so much to die at home. She had been worried about how much pain he would have in those last days, hours, minutes. All of these things worked out as best they could. He died at home, surrounded by his family.

Janine got to hold his hand as he passed.

Sobriety is so much more than not drinking (but of course, not drinking is a requirement!). And it is so much more than just for us. We get to be present at the important events in our lives, and the important events of those we love, and who love us. Whether it is pleasant or not, we get to be there. We get to go, and see what we can bring instead of what we can take.

I am so grateful to have this incredible woman in my life. I am so grateful the she gets to be sober and a part of her family today, and I bet they are grateful too.

"As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63

9 comments:

robster said...

Hi, I liked your post. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I quit drinking 16 months ago. I managed to do it all on my own and know that I'll never drink again. Sobriety is so much better than being chained to an addiction. If you're interested in how I managed to quit, take a look at my blog.

Namaste ROb :)
Addictvoice - Freedom from addiction

Pammie said...

Of all the things I wish I could have been sober for, it would be my fathers death. I feel her gratitude! To be present for our loved ones...to me...is the biggest blessing in sobriety. Sponsees really help us feel gratitude, don't they?

dAAve said...

Similar experience here this weekend with a sponsee.
Enjoy your day.

Scott W said...

I am grateful to have a different understanding today about passing from this life to the next one. It makes for a lot less fear. Of course, I wouldn't be thinking this way if I weren't sober.

Pam Jarnagin said...

How awesome for her to be able to really live that moment, to be really there for herself, her father and her family. Just one of the many gifts recovery gives us.

Shannon said...

I am so glad I read this tonight
"We get to go, and see what we can bring instead of what we can take."
thank you MC

Scott M. Frey said...

MC, it is nice indeed to be back in the stream of life... sobriety is just great that way!

Mama Dukes said...

how great she was able to be present

tkdjunkie said...

Thank you so much for sharing ... I see people stay sober through those things and wonder how they do it!