Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Why do people HATE AA?

I wrote a post about a controversy in AA several years ago. It has turned into a heavily "hit" post for AA detractors. There is plenty of negative stuff about AA on the internet, there is no good reason for me to have some on my blog.

My story is that I drank alcoholically for eighteen years. When I was desperate enough to admit that I couldn't quit drinking on my own and asked for help, AA was there for me. I was pretty sick as I stopped drinking and was dependent upon the kindness of the strangers I met at AA meetings to help me. Collectively they never let me down, though plenty of individuals in AA have disappointed me over the years. I have been a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous since July 24, 1984. That means I have never had a drink since then. I am eternally grateful for that.

Most AA members are people who work for a living, and live as responsible decent human beings. You won't know that most of them are recovering alcoholics unless you know them well. They quietly get on with living their lives to the best of their ability. Unfortunately, there are those who publicly make us look bad, but let me assure you, they are the minority.

If you would like help to stop drinking and you are convinced that you cannot do it by yourself, AA may have the answer for you. You can get information about AA from http://www.aa.org or you may look up Alcoholics Anonymous in your local phone directory.

If you think you can quit drinking on your own, by all means try that. If you have some other addiction there are programs for that as well. If you are suffering from mental illness, please seek help for that.

"We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny. May God bless you and keep you - until then." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 164

5 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Though I have stopped writing on this blog several months ago, this post still gets plenty of "hits." And people will leave comments telling me why they hate AA. I chose not to publish those comments. If you are looking for information like that, there is plenty on the internet. You do not need to find it here.

My story is - I am an alcoholic. I got to AA in 1984. I have not had a drink since. I have had a good life since. If you want to sit at your computer at home, drink in hand, and tell me what is wrong with AA, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I got to your post because I am trying to figure something out. My husband is an AA member, as of November 2011. I am so grateful and happy that the people he is getting to know there are helping him a ton. But...his best old college friend wrote him a very hurtful letter, attacking AA. I just don't understand why he would do that. Except that, yes, he drinks. He and my husband I guess maybe were "old drinking buddies". Their friendship has to change now. Well, I guess I kinda answered my own question. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I don't hate AA, but I do think that being around only people like you, and making recovery your only goal for years on end to the exclusion of your family or other pursuits is its own type of addiction and sickness. Your God-given gifts to use in this world are for you - AA or not - to enrich your life and those of others. AA should be a tool, not an identity. I am frankly sick of alcoholics who do nothing but 'work the steps' and go to school/work etc. without giving something back to the people in their lives or less fortunate people in the world. Diabetics do it, abused women do it, hypertensivs do it, breast cancer survivors do it, smokers do it, Why don't AA cult members think the same level of participation in this world is expected of them? They are incredibly selfish and self-absorbed.

Mary Christine said...

I think you are wrong anonymous, but we are anonymous, so you probably don't hear of all the things we do for others.

Anonymous said...

We recovered members of Alcoholics will continue to help other alcoholics no matter what back lash we get. Our program was never meant for people to become slaves to meetings. the people who ruined it are the ones who are not alcoholic and use it as a therapy session. therefore making it sound like a cult. Many of us spend more time with our families then we do in AA. but we will always be there for the person who needs help