Sunday, April 27, 2008

Blogging from the sofa


A rare Sunday morning, I am not running off to a meeting or to church or to running itself.  I sat down at my desk to write this post and thought about the fact that I could sit on my sofa and write.  I recently bought a laptop, but often forget that I can take it out of my office and put it wherever I want to sit!  So, here I sit in my jammies, cross-legged on the sofa, drinking coffee, watching my favorite Sunday morning news show, "This Week," and writing my 951st blog entry on this thing!

Yesterday morning I realized that it was snowing outside, so I opted not to run.  So today I will run.  I will wait an hour or two until it warms up though.  It is only 27º right now.  Yesterday was a nice restful day, and today I feel ready to get out there and run 10 miles.  Imagine 10 miles being a "short" run!  

After the meeting yesterday, I had coffee with a dear friend.  It is such a blessing to have this woman in my life.  Her birthday is the day after mine, so we are virtually the same age.  She has been sober for 14 + years, I have been sober for 23 + years - so we can talk about the challenges of long term sobriety.  Let me quickly say - they are not the same kinds of challenges that we face in those early, drama filled years of sobriety.  They are the challenges of growing up - of not being part of the gang, of being set apart.  

Once again, I sat back and realized that my life is actually very good.  It is actually very stable.   We talked about some other folks with long term sobriety whose lives are still pretty insane.  Not to judge, but just to think about.   I think maybe at a certain point, we have a choice.    

By the Grace of a Loving God.  Thank You!

6 comments:

Zanejabbers said...

27. BRRRRRRRRRR. It is 80 out on my patio. Enjoy your day. There is an article about Alaska in the May/June edition of AARP. Thought about you.

dAAve said...

Some decade I may get there.
Your E,S & H help me be willing to wait.

Scott W said...

Hi! Happy Sunday!

Tennessee Santa said...

I can't imagine a ten mile walk let alone a ten mile run being short. It is starting to sound like you will not have any problems with that marathon. When will you be going to Alaska? I will be in Denver June 7th & 8th.
FAEA

Banana Girl said...

It is so nice to read an entry where you actually took the time to take a breath. teehee. LU, J

Syd said...

Sitting on the couch in your pajamas and drinking coffee watching the snow come down--that sounds really nice. No snow here, just a bright, warm and blustery day. Have a good one.