Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Can't put off my taxes for another day

But that is OK. I have the ability to pay what I owe, and for that I am truly grateful. I just wish we lived in a more just society. One where I payed less taxes because there was a hell of a lot less government to pay for, but that's just me!

Yesterday I got in a car accident on my way to work. Isn't it funny how time slows down when you are watching your rear view window and seeing a great big pick-up truck about to plow into you? He had a look of horror on his face. I was able to turn my car slightly so that I didn't plow into the car ahead of me. So the truck only clipped the corner of my bumper. We pulled over, stopped, got out of our vehicles, and I told him to forget about it. Judging by the amount of damage to his car (extensive) and the amount of damage to mine (minimal) and his extreme relief and gratitude to me, I would guess the man has some reason(s) he didn't want to deal with Law Enforcement yesterday morning.

I might now be "even" with my karma on the car accident thing. I think I have had two car accidents where I was clearly at fault and had no insurance. And for some reason, totally unknown to me, both of the men I ran into just told me to forget about it.

I just didn't used to like to pay for insurance. The last day I drove without insurance, I was 10 years sober, and I prayed before I left the house that day for "just one more day," because I was selling my car that day and going without a car for a while. And wouldn't you know it, I got pulled over by the police and got a ticket for not having insurance. And that was the last day I drove without it.

So, I better get on with my day. It should be a "jim dandy," whatever that means!

6 comments:

Scott W said...

Hope your day is as fine as frog's hair.

dAAve said...

Five years ago I found out about another type of insurance.
The Twelve Steps.

Banana Girl said...

You may be sorry your asked:

JIM DANDY - "No particular Jim Dandy seems to be the eponym behind the century-old term 'Jim Dandy,' which is still heard for someone or something that is especially fine or admirable. 'The Dictionary of Americanisms' traces the term back to January 1887. Etymologist Gerald Cohen has cited a published sports usage of it some six months later in a New York Giants game, indicating a possible baseball origin. Certainly baseball helped popularize the phrase." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).

: ".by the turn of the century, 'Joe Dandy' (1880) was a variant for 'Jim Dandy' (1887) referring to any remarkable or excellent person or thing," according to "Listening to America" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, New York, 1982). Other variants for "jim-dandy" were "jim hickey," "Jack-Dandy" and "Joe-Dandy," it says in the "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, Volume 1, H-O" by J.E. Lighter, Random House, New York, 1994.

Jim Dandy An admirable person, thing, or feat; a prime example; something of superior quality. 1st Use. 1887. The term, which the _Oxford English Dictionary_ traces in a nonbaseball context to 1887, shows up quickly in baseball writing. In fact, Gerald Cohen has written that his work on the baseball columns of _The World_ (New York) "provides the startling indication that 'jim-dandy' either arose in baseball speech or was spread into standard English by it." His earliest published example from _The World_ (June 19, 1887): "The Giants gave the local patrons of the game a couple of surprises during the past week, and whereas on Wednesday night they were proclaimed 'Jim Dandy' players, they were on Thursday declared to be 'no good.'"
From _The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary_ (1999) by Paul Dickson.

1887 _Courier-Journal_ (Louisville, Kentucky) 12 Jan.: Dear Sir: Though a stranger to you (yet a Democrat), let me say you are a "Jim Dandy".
1888 _Inter-Ocean_ (Chicago) 14 Feb: George C. Ball came upon the floor yesterday arrayed in a jim-dandy suit of clothes.
1891 _0uting_ July: He's a dandy second-base, a Jim dandy.
1894 S. Crane, _The Red Badge of Courage_: Well, he was reg'lar jim-dandy fer nerve, wasn't he?
1902 O. Wister, Virginian: He must have been a jim-dandy of a boy.
1919 H. L. Wilson, _Ma Pettengill_: I bet you made a jim-dandy good report.
And there you have it. Have a JIM DANDY day!

Syd said...

And I thought he was the long-haired fellow who played with Black Oak Arkansas.

Pammie said...

bless your little artichoke heart.
I remember the first time after I got sober that I drove my old "hoopty" with a valid EVERYTHING. I wanted a cop to pull me over so bad.
I'm glad you're OK.

Zanejabbers said...

Reminded me of an old song from the 50's. Jim Dandy to The Rescue.
We did the BOP to it. Which brings up Bee Bop A Lulu. No more. Just have a HELL of nice day.