Friday, December 15, 2006

12/15/1951

Fifty-five years ago today, a little girl was born, the youngest of five children. She was a cute little thing, but she didn't know it. She was a bright little girl, but she didn't know that either. Because of a disease that she didn't even know she had (alcoholism), she suffered from never feeling like she was good enough, never felt that she fit in, never felt she belonged - anywhere.

Thank God I drank enough to get desperate enough to get to Alcoholics Anonymous - where I knew immediately that I belonged. I realized I was good enough for AA, I fit right in, and I had found my home. Through finding my home in AA, I was able to venture out in the world, knowing that those former beliefs were just self-centered nonsense. When that crap tries to start back up, which it does, I just remind myself that it is ego driven bullshit and ask God to help me - which he never fails to do.

This morning, I realize that I have been sober for 40% of my entire life. I intend, with the help of God, to increase that ratio every year until they plant my sober old remains in the ground.

Today I join another age group in many ways. I can get a cheap breakfast at Perkins (which I may do once or twice a decade.) I am 5 years into eligibility for AARP (which I refuse to join.) BUT the important thing is that I am in a different age group for races! I hope that I may actually start placing in races since my belief is that the competition will thin out. We shall see.

This morning, after speaking at an AA meeting at 6:30 a.m., I am going to go to a nearby lake and run 5.5 miles. One mile for each decade of my life. I did the same when I was 30, I ran 3 miles, and I thought it was huge. I am thrilled to be able to do this.

God has so abundantly blessed me. And one of those blessings is you sober bloggers. Thank you so much for what you add to my sobriety - it is considerable.

"We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 68

23 comments:

JJ said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday Dear MaryChristine
Happy Birthday to you
JJ

Pammie said...

Happy Birthday!! Singing loudly, swaying back and forth..p.s my youngest daughter turns 25 today, and her story sounds like yours....only without the sober part...YET.

dAAve said...

Happy Birthday MC. Isn't it wonderful to be able to get older?!

I joined AARP when I turned 50 to take advantage of special offers. I saved about 30% on my car insurance.

Scott W said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday, MC!

Thank you for going before us and laying a path that takes us home.

Anonymous said...

December 15 is the absolute best day to have a birthday! I've always thought so, anyway. I turned 34 today, and began a fitness project (www.odaatfitness.com) and after reading your posts, I think I might strive for 3.5 miles on my 35th!

Have a fabulous day!
Brad :-)

Anonymous said...

Mary Christine,
You are such an inspiration to know.
I so admire your compassion and determination to trudge on..or in your case...to jog..lol
Here's wishing you a beautiful birthday filled with gratitude ,peace, joy and happiness.
Happy Birthday MC !

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Mary Christine!

You are a joy to read and an awesome role model to all of us AA folks.
302 days sober here.

Willa

Mike said...

Happy Birthday Kid,

I will try my best to be there Saturday..

Oh, and I don't mind typing "aumjbup" or any other word verification to get this posted.

Meg Moran said...

Happy Birthday MC...Its my pleasure to read your ES & H daily

I'm with Mike I'm willing to do the word verification thing too...but I always seem to get the REALLY long ones and have to try 2 or 3 times to get it right!
Ahtyfwudyhhhp ARGGH!!!!

Shannon said...

eh -hemmm... hmmmmmmm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...
HAPPY BIRHTDAY DEAR MARY CHRISTEEEEEEEEEEEEN....
HAPPY BIRHTDAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOO AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! AND MANY MANY MANY MOOOOORE

I hope you had a beautiful run this morning 5.5miles WOW
inspiratiion!!!

Woooohooooooo

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday, MC. I am grateful you were born.
Peace,
Scout

Anonymous said...

Ohhh MC HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a beautiful youthful soul. Thank you for your email response. I love you and love that you are a part of my recovery.

You are flying high right now as you should be.


MUAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

JJ helped me to "see" it's your birthday! Have ahappy, happy, happy birthday. Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom your 40% of your life brings us.

kel said...

Here's wishing you a wonderful birthday. You are a beautiful soul, enjoy your day!

Anna said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I heard it was your Birthday (from the last three blogs I went to), so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful post here. i closed the window accidentally before i could finish on the first comment...

Amerynthe said...

Many many happy returns!

Linda x

Tennessee Santa said...

I said it before and I will say it again Happy Birthday. 40% is cool, so I thought I would try to figure out my percentages and I am just too tired to think. I like the double nickle thing though. You can officially be considered a senior citizen. Everybody takes 55 for senior discounts. I am with Dave being a member od AARP saved me a ton on insurance, and that ain't no commercial.
FAEA

Scott M. Frey said...

You're an amazing Angel MC, thank you for being my friend, and for your inspiration! What a beautiful person you are! I hope you've had a wonderful birthday, and that you have many more to come!

Pam Jarnagin said...

Happy BB Birthday, MC!!! You are such an inspiration to me, and I know to many, many others as well.

Sorry these wishes are late :(

Unknown said...

I am so sorry I missed your b-day. Overwhelmed on my end.

HUGE Birthday Hugz
((((((((((((((((((MC)))))))))))))))

Love and friendship,
G~

Unknown said...

I had no idea were December-mates!
Happy Birthday, Feliz Cumpleaos.