Friday, December 22, 2006

Getting on with life, I hope..

I hope to get out of here today. I hope to get to work. I would like to kiss my desk when I get there. I hope to get to an AA meeting tonight. I have not driven my car since Monday morning. I have not worked since last Thursday. I have not run since last Friday. I have not been to an AA meeting since Saturday.

All of this time away from everything has given me some perspective on my life. I really like my life. I really like my job, I really like my AA meetings, I really love running and I am so grateful that I am able to do all of this. Running may still have to wait a day or two because I am still not 100% physically.

When I told my story last week, my new friend Gemma was there, and we talked on Sunday. She had no idea the kind of wreckage I had come from. She was so amazed that I was able to go from total destitution and homelessness (at 9 years of sobriety) to getting an entry level job, starting college at 43, and having a masters degree by the time I was 50. I now have a management job, a nice home, etc. Of course, she said what so many say to me - "you don't give yourself enough credit." It is all wonderful, and I am so grateful that I was able to do that. But no matter what, the most important thing today is that I am sober, and have a relationship with God.

I am grateful, grateful, grateful.

"Today there is absolutely nothing in the world more important to me than keeping this alcoholic sober; not taking a drink is by far the most important thing I do each day." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 415

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound so much better. I hope the weather can moderate for you guys so the rest of the holiday season can be enjoyable (although it can be enjoyable no matter what the weather does).

Pammie said...

ooo so glad you are able to get out again....your gratitude is contagious !!! thanks

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is one massive snowfall! Glad you didn't lose electricity.

Shannon said...

I am soooo glad you are feeling better. I love it when people share those things... its gives me hope and inspires me...
I really admire you a lot. I know I say it all the time.. :) but everytime I read your posts, I think WOW, and WOW, and WOW, and WOW ... lol

Have a fantabulous day

JJ said...

I am grateful for you.
Merry Christmas,
JJ

jake said...

You're definetily an inspiration...Love you lots...

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your way of not giving yourself enough credit is a way to keep humble? Just a thought.

I hope that someday I will get to hear your story. I will have to make it a point.

If your car does not run for that long does the engine freeze?

I too am glad you are feeling better. See, those germs really wanted a good healthy host. Now that you took care of your body they are officially exterminated.

lash505 said...

I was thinking about you when I was watching the news. I am glad my return flight went thru Houston. I will be in Denver last week in Jan. I will keep you updated.

Anonymous said...

Mary Christine, you make me want to go to college to get a better job. (I am a few years younger than you)

Glad you're feeling better today!

310 days sober today for me.

Willa