Saturday, December 02, 2006

Saddy Mornin

I love Saturday Morning! I am heading out of here for a 7:30 a.m. meeting across town. Then I will hit the gym for a quick 3 mile run. And then get home and clean. The place must look sparkly when my friend comes to pick me up. The last time he was at my house, it was a townhouse full of little children. Now my home is the home of a soon-to-be 55 year old woman who lives alone. I am excited about seeing Chris.

We first met in 1968. Holy cow, that is a long time ago, most of you weren't even alive yet. It was a turbulent time, and we were kids in Chicago. It was also an incredibly wonderful time. There was a local club for teens - where I saw The Cream (with baby Eric Clapton) - among many other wonderful bands from the 60s. I just tried to do some research to see who all played there, and got so side-tracked, I need to just stop! Anyway, we were always there, every Friday and Saturday night. There was no booze served there, but we brought our own and plenty of other recreational substances as well.

As grateful and nostalgic as I can be for those times, I am even more grateful that I have a life that is still very exciting (at least to me) and current, and real. I don't need to long for the "good old days" because these truly are the good old days - because I am a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous and have a life I never dreamed was possible.

"Regardless of worldly success or failure, regardless of pain or joy, regardless of sickness or health or even of death itself, a new life of endless possibilities can be lived if we are willing to continue our awakening, through the practice of AAs Twelve Steps." -- As Bill Sees It, p. 8

11 comments:

dAAve said...

Nothing wrong with reminiscing (sp?).
Have fun.

Amerynthe said...

The past is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Have a great weekend in the here and now!

Shannon said...

I am so excited for you! Tell us how it went!
Have a great quick 3 mile run.. (how quick is quick... LOL for me 2 mile speed walk is about 25 minutes or so... LOL)
I will get there too ... I know it
have a good Saturday!

Scott W said...

Great post! I love how you match your writing with AA quotes.

lash505 said...

Thats really cool how your day seems to be so organized. I need to get on your schedule. Thanks for your posts. I had to make a entry on Friday, because of what you wrote. I am glad I have you as a friend.

Michael said...

Provided you dont live in the past no harm in looking back, great to be sober and alive again about 830 days under my belt now all ODAAT

Pammie said...

I have to agree that "these truly are the good old days". Thanks for your posting.

Petutes said...

Hi MC
I still reminisce sometimes about the good old days but I too am grateful to be a Sober member of AA today. I like looking back and realizing how stupid I acted at times and laugh but I don't have regrets. Have a great weekend.
Karen :-)

JJ said...

As I sit here barely able to lift the coffee mug to my mouth and read about 7:30 AM meetings and running 3 miles.......it makes me want to go back to bed..lol.
I hope you have fun withyour friend.
JJ

jake said...

reading your post brought memories that made sigh...love you

Unknown said...

Hey!!! I was alive.....albeit 5 years old.