Sunday, December 31, 2006

My friend Merle

Died last night. I went to the meeting this morning to see who I would see and they were all crying. What a wonderful meeting though. There was so much sadness, but what a tribute to a life well-lived. A sober life. He touched a lot of people in his many years of sobriety. I think he was sober 30 + years, but I am not absolutely certain. I do know he had a lot more time than I do.

He had just come home from a trip to the east coast with his girlfriend - another long term member of AA. He went to the bathroom at the airport and simply died there. She was at the meeting this morning and is surrounded by the fellowship. We went to breakfast and filled up an entire section of the restaurant... and sat there all morning.

I am sad but full of hope. A sober life is a good life. We touch so many people as long as we are active in AA. It is a wonderful thing. I am so grateful I got to that meeting this morning.

I decided to post this today because I just need to write about this now.

"In this Fellowship we begin to learn right relations with people who understand us; we don't have to be alone any more." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 117 (as quoted in As Bill Sees It)

6 comments:

Trudging said...

In A.A. we go to a lot of funerals. It is such a victory when someone dies sober. Sad for us though.

Pammie said...

I'm sorry you've lost a friend MC. I'm glad you had good people around though....shared "sad" is always easier.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend.
I only hope that I can pass that suddenly although the venue leaves a bit to be desired.

Anonymous said...

We never know when, just that we must stay vigilant.

Scott M. Frey said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. But, it's hard to stay too sad over the passing of a sober person. We read so many times about those who die from this disease, it's great to know that people are passing after living a fulfilling, sober life. My prayers will be with him, his friends and family...

Mama Dukes said...

he died sober, what a blessing
so many don't