Saturday, December 09, 2006

miscellanea

These seven socks represent seven weeks of me sitting in meetings knitting. I still have three socks yet to make for Christmas. The little ones are quick though. Yeah, I know they look kinda funky, but when you put them on, it is like a hug for your feet. I don't know why hand-knit socks are so special, so loving, but they are. Last year I gave a sponsee a pair for her birthday. She looked at me like I was nuts - but this year she is asking for another pair. I gave her a gift certificate for a pair in her choice of colors - she was happy about that.

I sure wish I could have slept last night, but I couldn't. I am glad it is Saturday and I can try to get all my work done this morning after the 6:30 a.m. meeting, and then take a nap this afternoon. I will head out to church tonight and tomorrow kick back and watch football. Maybe I will just skip watching the Broncos play though. It is upsetting - I care FAR too much about a silly game with a bunch of millionaires running around a field.

Yesterday morning I ran 5 miles and was late to work. The day before I ran 4 miles and was late to work. Today is Saturday and I am too physically tired to run. What is wrong with this picture?

I would rather not write this, but I am going to because I think it is important. Over the summer, I was paying my daughter's bills, buying them groceries, etc. Although I make plenty of money, I got behind on one of my bills. I have not been able to get it caught up. Last night, I got a nasty-gram from them. It was an awful feeling. It has been many years since I have faced anything like this. But instead of tucking that away and trying to forget about it, I said a prayer and dialed the phone and called them - having learned how to do this in the process of many 9th step amends. It is indeed miraculous what happens when I honestly face my problems. I am so relieved today, and once again, I am reassured that this program works in every single circumstance. (and I am reminded that it doesn't matter how long I have been sober, I still can fall into the same traps.)

"We must lose our fear of creditors no matter how far we have to go, for we are liable to drink if we are afraid to face them." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 78

12 comments:

JJ said...

I can relate about not having a good night's sleep and receiving nasty grams....
Watching football...hell yeah.
Running.....hell no.
But I need to know...is there anything you can't do? You are amazing!
JJ

dAAve said...

Lotsa stuff --
Love the socks. Seven is a good number.
I used to be an NFL junkie. Now I pass.
Good on you - for making that call.
Enjoy your day.

Pammie said...

I've never owned a pair of home made socks, but I can't think of anything better as a gift. That's very loving of you. You've given me a little courage this morning, and I think I'll go open a piece of mail that I've been avoiding, because everyone knows, if you don't open the bill,it's not real.:)

Meg Moran said...

when I first got sober I had to open piles of ignored mail....sponsor had to help me face it. I loved your post, we have come a million miles, but still use our BB road map for the little bumps.

Unknown said...

My Alirad makes felted slipper socks. They are like hugs for da footsies.

Sleep problems over here tooo.

Have a wonderful Saturday,
Gwen

Pam Jarnagin said...

This is a GREAT post, MC. I love the part about the hand-knitted socks being like a hug for your feet (and for your spirit, as well, I imagine!). I really appreciate the last part that you were a little anxious about sharing, too. You're one of my heroines, and I need to see that you are human once in while, and see how you handle life as a sober, healthy human being living life on life's terms, and applying the principles we learn in AA. Thanks so much for that reminder. Gotta run if I'm going to make my 5:30 meeting, but just wanted to say I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH!!

Sober @ Sundown said...

It sure is easier facing problems head on.....

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, whatever you choose to do.

Scott W said...

Those socks look so fine, maybe Santa will bring me a pair. It's been said, but it bears repeating, you are amazing.

Pam Jarnagin said...

Hey MC,

TAG you're it! Here are the rules: Each player of this game starts with the 6 Weird Things About You. People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 Weird Things as well as state this rule clearly. Have fun! :)

lash505 said...

Your Tagged
Megs Rules - Each player of this game starts with the 6 Weird Things About You. People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 Weird Things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says you are tagged in their comments and tell them to read your blog!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful socks. They are unique and have lots of character. You can't buy this anywhere you know.

Anonymous said...

One of your statements really hit home with me: “It is indeed miraculous what happens when I honestly face my problems.” I read somewhere that alcoholics who are the most successful in treatment are those who honestly face their problems and decide that they want to do something positive about them.

Thanks for the great post.