Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Slept Late

Wow. I didn't wake up until nearly 6:30 this morning. Which means I am not running today, which is OK since I have run 25 miles in the last week and have run 4 days in a row now. I had planned on taking tomorrow off, but I will let tomorrow tell me whether I will or not. I am taking a day of vacation on Friday so that I can run my 5.5 miles on my 55th birthday. When I agreed to speak at the 6:30 a.m. meeting I forgot about that plan to run - and it is so important to me that I decided to take the whole day off to run and enjoy my birthday.

How well I remember the first year I was sober. It was about this time of the year and I was telling someone that I was going to be 34. And then I thought about that and actually did the subtraction:
1984 - 1951 = 33
I had spent that entire year thinking I was 33 years old when I was only 32. I missed being 32 years old entirely. But I have to say that the second year of being 33 was infinitely better than the first because I was sober!

And I thought when I got to Alcoholics Anonymous that I was "nipping it in the bud," I was so delusional that it never occurred to me that drinking every day for 18 years was well beyond a "little" problem.

"When first challenged to admit defeat, most of us revolted. We had approached AA expectivng to be taught self-confidence. Then we had been told that so far as alcohol is concerned, self-confidence was no good whatever; in fact, it was a total liability." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 22

11 comments:

dAAve said...

Sometimes, I am still revolting.
Enjoy your Friday. Give yourself another present - splurge on something you'd never get for yourself and give it to someone who can use it.

Anonymous said...

Yes this is one tyoe of Nip in the Butt that requires an army . . . an army of recovery alcoholics that is. :)

Scott W said...

I have some missing time, too. Today time is passing quickly and there is no more of that counting the minutes until I could get some relief. Whew!

Recovery Road London said...

Hola

An odd question...lol...but; when you started running, did your shins hurt?

Trudging said...

Lets hear it for the second year of being 33!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You took a break from running! Yea! ;)

Mary Christine said...

Okay! I am putting word verification back on. Spamming BASTARDS!

Anonymous said...

You are too cool..I cannot even run for the frickin bus! You go girl!

lash505 said...

Ha 6:30 am I was still asleep. Lazy? no just tired. There was a lot of missing time for me. Get running girl.

JJ said...

I love you MC.
JJ

Mama Dukes said...

quite a chest for an almost 55 yr old!

amazing isn't it how the disease gets us to lose whole years? So many times people say they don't remember when they came into the rooms-- its all such a blur, a fog